Been searching for a partner without success? Here are some tips to help in your quest.
1. Love yourself first. Before you can be in a healthy relationship, you have to be comfortable in your own skin and in your own life. Research ways to raise your self esteem. Learn to be grateful for what you already have. It's ironic that frequently we stop looking for relationships, and that's when they find us.
2. Identify your value system. Make a list of the values that are most important to you - not just in a relationship, but in everyday life. Honesty? Loyalty? Hard work? Compassion and kindness? Any person you want to develop a relationship with should have similar values.
3. Take a hard look at your past long term relationships. What worked? What didn't? What would you change if you could? What would you keep for the next relationship? What do you want your next relationship to look like?
4. What would your hero's relationships look like? Ask someone whose relationship is great to tell you how they make it work.
5. Learn communication and conflict resolution skills. Every relationship - even non-romantic ones - will encounter conflict. By learning good communication skills, you'll be better able to handle the inevitable rough patches.
6. Learn to live in the moment. What's past is past; the future isn't here yet. Make it a practice to focus on what's happening right now.
7. Learn how to manage unrealistic expectations. Sometimes our expectations don't match the reality of a situation.